Best Golf Rangefinder 2017 – Full Review Buying Guide
Looking for the best golf rangefinder? Since you are here, I can assume your answer is “yes”. The fact is, it is always difficult to choose a rangefinder that suits your specific needs when there are so many options available in the market. But don’t worry, we are here to help.
I have gathered together some of the best golf rangefinders so that you can choose the most suitable one for you. Here is a list of the top 10 golf rangefinders based on our research:
Finding The Best Golf Rangefinder For Your Needs
I have made a long list of golf rangefinders, and I could simply give you the list. However, that is not my purpose. My goal is to help you to choose the best one, as there are a lot of products on the market and it is difficult to filter them. One more thing I want to say: there is no one specific rangefinder that I can tell you will be the best. What may seem as the best rangefinder for me, might not be the best option for you. Hence, I have done a lot research, joined several golf forums, and asked people to find out which rangefinders are the best option. Here is a list of the top 5 best golf rangefinders based on our research:
Features and Specifications
- Accuracy: Accuracy is the first thing that you need to check whenever you are going to buy a rangefinder; this is the main reason why we use rangefinders. You won’t be able to shoot the best shot if you don’t have a rangefinder that provides great accuracy. On these terms, the TecTecTec VPRO500 Golf Rangefinder has passed the examination. It can measure up to 540 yards with an accuracy of 1 yard. The TecTecTec VPRO500 has 6x magnification which brings everything 6 times closer! You can even continuously shoot the target, just by pressing the triggering button once, with its continuous scan mode. This rangefinder is at the top of our list when it comes to measuring golf flags, hazards, and wooded areas accurately with a great price.
- Pinsensor Technology: Pinsensor Technology is the latest technology that helps to get the measurement fast and accurately. You can learn about the technology here.
- Lightweight: The TecTecTec VPRO500 Golf Rangefinder is one of the lightest devices that I have used thus far. It is just 185g — Just imagine how lightweight this device is. Perhaps its bulky body may scare you off, but it is very comfortable to use and easy to carry.
- Durable: You may be thinking that as this device at just 185g. must be made of low-quality materials; but not at all. Though it is very lightweight, the materials are very solid and high quality. The surface of the body prevents dust, and it is free from oxygen reaction.
- Customer Satisfaction: : If you are an experienced golf player, you have probably heard about the TecTecTec VPRO500 Golf Rangefinder. But if you have any doubts, you can check the customer ratings from Amazon. There you will find over 150 happy customer’s feedbacks, the pros and cons. Also an important thing to note, this product has a full 1 Year Warranty. If you haven’t reached a full year with this product and you are not satisfied with it for any reason, TecTecTec will happily return your investment with their 100% money-back guarantee.
The Bushnell Tour X Jolt Golf Laser Rangefinder is similar to the Bushnell Tour V4 Golf Rangefinder. But the Bushnell Tour X Jolt really stands out as one of the top on our list of best golf rangefinders. It can measure up to 1,300 yards with an accuracy of +/- 0.5 yards. A great feature is that you can easily change the slope whenever you need, and you can then return to the adjustment that is legal. Definitely one of my favorite features about this rangefinder.
Features and Specifications
- Accuracy: The Bushnell Tour X Jolt Golf Laser Rangefinder offers very accurate measurements. It can measure up to 1,300 yards and has an accuracy of +/- 0.5 yards. It also uses 6x optics.
- Exchange Technology: Exchange Technology is a technology that lets you change the adjustment between the slope version and legal version. You can change to the slope version and return to the normal version whenever you need it.
- Dual Display Technology: Similar to the Exchange Technolgy, the Dual Display Technology allows you to interchange the display mode. You can turn the display to the bright red display or the crisp black display. Which option you choose will greatly depend on the outdoor lighting conditions.
- 2nd Generation E.S.P: 2nd Generation E.S.P provides a much clearer and brighter display so that you can read every measurement.
- Customer Satisfaction: The Bushnell Tour X Jolt Golf Laser Rangefinder is simply a great device with positive experiences to back it up. With over 100 customer’s feedbacks on Amazon, its a popular product among forums, blogs, and golf enthusiasts as well. Bushnell offers 2 years of warranty for this product.
The Bushnell Pro X7 Golf Laser Rangefinder with JOLT is another familiar laser rangefinder from Bushnell. It has the ability to measure from 5 yards to 1 mile (550+ yards to flags), with an accuracy of 1/2 yard with 7x magnification. The 7x lens helps you see the target seven times closer, and its premium HD optics ensure a bright and clear vision. It also uses 2nd generation E.S.P. and Vivid Display Technology to maximize its efficiency. It is very convenient to and easy to use. If you have a decent budget, you should definitely go for it.
Features and Specifications
- Accuracy: The Bushnell Pro X7 Rangefinder is a great device to measure distance accurately. It can measure up to 1 mile with a 1/2 yard accuracy.
- Pin Seeker with Jolt Technology: You can measure the distances quicker and precise, with the Pin Seeker Technology. You will get a slight vibration right after the target is locked up.
- E.S.P 2: E.S.P.2 gives you faster yardage and more accurately. The main function of this feature is to measure the distances at a much faster rate, but also accurately.
- Vivid Display Technology: If you have any experience wtih playing golf, you may notice that it’s hard to read the measurement data in bright days. Sometimes it may cause big issues, especially in the tournaments. To deal with this problem, Bushnell brings the Vivid Display Technology. It helps you to get the best readings, even in the brightest days.
- Dimensions and Weight: Dimensions are: 5.5 x 4.25 x 2 and Weight: 12 oz
- Customer Satisfaction: As usual, we have done a lot of research in order to determine the feedback of the real customers, and the result was impressive. You can check customer ratings for the Bushnell Pro X7 Golf Laser Rangefinder to get an idea for yourself.
The Bushnell Tour V4 Rangefinder is another great device from Bushnell. In fact, it is the newer version of the Bushnell Tour V3 Rangefinder. It was launched in January 2016. The Bushnell Tour V4 Rangefinder is 30% smaller than the Tour V3, allowing you to keep it in your pocket comfortably. It can measure 5 to 1,000 yards with 5x magnification. The fast focus system of the Bushnell Tour v4 Golf Rangefinder will help you get a much better focus. This device is also water resistant.
Features and Specifications
- Accuracy: The Bushnell Tour V4 Rangefinder is more accurate and faster than the Bushnell Tour V3. You should purchase this rangefinder if you are looking for high accuracy. It can measure anywhere from 5 to 1,000 yards. It uses a 5x optical lens so that everything looks five times closer. You can focus even more quickly to the target with its Fast Focus system.
- Pin Seeker with Jolt Technology: The Pin Seeker Technology is a modern technology that helps to shot towards the target more quickly and accurately. The Jolt Technology will alert you with a vibration when the target has been locked.
- Water Resistant: Bushnell Tour V4 is water resistant. But to be honest, I will suggest you not to use it during heavy rain or foggy days. It is designed to only prevent a small amount of water from getting in.
- Customer Satisfaction: Customer satisfaction is the main thing that reflects the quality of any device. We have checked many forums and blogs so we could find out the feedback of the real customers, and you will be happy to know that their feedback is positive. They have all had very good experiences with this rangefinder. You can check the customer feedback on Amazon. It also comes with a warranty of 2 years.
The Nikon COOLSHOT 40 Golf Laser Rangefinder is one of my favorite rangefinders. Nikon is a very well-known brand, and they definitely tried their best to give their 100% to this device. Keeping all necessary features while combining it with the latest technology is not an easy task. And on top of this, Nikon has also kept the price at a decent figure. The Nikon Coolshot 40 has an incredible ranging capability of 8-650 yards with great accuracy (+/- 2 ¼ feet). It uses Fast Target Technology helping it to quickly and accurately identify the flagstick. This is the newest version of the Nikon COOLSHOT 20, and is also a little bit bigger.
Features and Specifications
- Accuracy: Accuracy is the main reason I have chosen the Nikon COOLSHOT 40 Golf Laser Rangefinder as my favorite. It can easily measure up to 650 yards with an accuracy of +/- 2 ¼ feet. It uses integral 6-power monocular Nikon optics. So no worries here about the optical strength!
- Hyper Read Technology: Hyper Read Technology is the very latest technology. It ensures you have quick and perfect accuracy. This technology is definitely one step ahead than the Pin Seeker Technology.
- 8-Second Continuous Measurement: By pressing and releasing the POWER button you can have an 8-second continuous measurement. You can quickly scan and measure multiple targets.
- First Target Priority Technology: A lot of visual objects can be beside the flag in the course. So, it may be frustrating for you to target a particular flag. This is why the First Target Priority Technology is being used in the Nikon COOLSHOT 40. It helps the rangefinder to focus on the flag even if there are several other objects around it.
- Rainproof: The Nikon COOLSHOT 40 Golf Laser Rangefinder is rainproof.
- Customer Satisfaction: It seems customers are happy with the Nikon COOLSHOT 40 Golf Laser Rangefinder. Though they have some negative feedback about the previous version of this rangefinder (the Nikon COOLSHOT 20 Golf Laser Rangefinder), they seem happier using the Nikon COOLSHOT 40.
What is a Golf Rangefinder?
Before I answer that, let’s first talk about what a rangefinder is. A Rangefinder is a device used to measure the distance from an observer to a target. It’s simple, isn’t it? People use rangefinders to measure distances. It has also been used in war by soldiers to determine the position of their enemy.
You can even survive in the forests like Bear Grylls by using this device to measure walking distances. So, now that we understand what a rangefinder is, what is a golf rangefinder? Its simply a rangefinder that has been specially designed to obtain the yardage on the golf course.
Now that you know what a golf rangefinder is, there are different types of rangefinders in the market. You can find 3 different types of Golf Rangefinders:
- Golf Laser Rangefinder
- Golf GPS Watches
- Golf GPS Handheld
Which Golf Rangefinder is Best for You?
It can be complicated to answer this question in one word without having practical experience. However, nowadays there are a lot of answers to this question that can be found on forums, blogs, social media sites, etc. Some claim that Golf GPS Watches are the best, while some say the Golf GPS Handheld devices are the best option.
Others may agree that the Golf Laser Rangefinder is the best among all three golf rangefinders. So, getting the best and more accurate answer is practically impossible. Let me tell you the advantages and disadvantages of the three golf rangefinders:
Who Should Use Golf Rangefinder
A golf rangefinder measures the distance of the flag and helps anyone to play a perfect round of golf, whether you are an amateur or an expert. If you do a little research on some social media (like facebook, twitter, etc.) and peruse some golf rangefinder forums, you can discover the importance of a rangefinder. Even professionals often use rangefinders in their tournaments. So whether you are an amateur or expert, if you are determined to shoot the perfect shot, then you will need a good rangefinder.
The Four Major Things To Look For In A Golf Rangefinder
When deciding to buy a product, we often look at the features first, because the features of a product show its value and whether the product is worth it or not. Here are the four main things you should look out for when finding the best golf rangefinder; whether it’s a laser type or GPS type:
Accuracy is the main reason you are purchasing a rangefinder. So the accuracy level of a rangefinder can tell you how good it is. As I said previously, a laser golf rangefinder has better precision and perfection when compared with a GPS device. A golfer must expect to perform an accurate shot on the green. That’s why he/she feels the need of acquiring the best golf rangefinder. Therefore, I suggest you choose a laser type rangefinder if accuracy is important to you. There are various rangefinders available in the market that provide an average accuracy of +/- 1 yard.
Another important thing that makes a good rangefinder is its activity. The activity means how fast a rangefinder can operate and show the perfect result. In the case of a laser rangefinder, the activity means how fast the device can throw the laser to the target and how fast the reflected laser beam can be received.
If the display of a rangefinder is not very good, then there would be no benefit in even having a rangefinder worth thousands of dollars. Good news is, most of the rangefinder manufacturers provide LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) as the monitor. Besides, there are many advanced features like Jolt Technology, Vivid Display, E.S.P.2, etc. that have been added to improve the display quality.
The Bushnell Pro X7 Golf Laser Rangefinder is currently using the Jolt Technology, Vivid Display, and E.S.P.2.
4. Positive Customer Review:
You will never know about the features of a product unless you have used it before. However, there is a quick and simple way to know more about a product. Just do some research on the market, some relevant blogs and forums, in order to get real opinions from real customers. The product feedbacks from previous users will show you if the product acts the way the manufacturers promote it to work.
Frequently Asked Questions about the rangefinder:
I have received some general questions from my readers over last few months. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions:
1. How does a rangefinder work?
There are two kinds of rangefinders, and both work differently. I here is the working procedure of both kinds below:
A laser rangefinder uses the laser beam to measure long distances. It emits a laser beam towards the target and receives the reflected laser signal from the target. Then, a clock calculates the time spent by the laser to hit the target and come back to the source (the device), and the device displays the yardages equivalent to the measured time.
As you may have guessed it by its name, these devices use a GPS (Global Positioning System) to measure distances. But you will need to download the courses where you plan on golfing before you start playing, which is something I do not like at all.
2. Why Should I Use a Rangefinder?
Although I have discussed it several times, I will give a short brief here as well. Every golfer wants to shoot perfect shots when they play golf, and they do what is possible for them to shoot straight. Rather than just another device, a golf rangefinder helps you to accurately measure the distance between the flag and you. This will give you a much better idea of where to shoot, and how much power to apply.
3. What Pinseeker Technology?
Pinseeker technology is one of the most advanced technologies that are used in many laser rangefinders. It helps to locate the target easily, and can lock the target instantly. It helps to lock the nearest target in the quickest time.
4. Can I Use a Golf Rangefinder on Tournaments?
5. What is Jolt Technology?
Jolt Technology is another advanced technology, just like the Pinseeker technology. When the rangefinder locks-on, you will feel a vibration letting you know that the object is on target.
Top Golf Rangefinder Brands You Can Trust:
Although there are a lot of companies in the market who create golf rangefinders, I will only discuss the top brands. The reason behind covering the brands in this article is to let you know of the top golf rangefinders brands. Top rated brands always try their best to make a rangefinder as good as they can. Let’s have a quick look at them and try to figure out which one is best for you:
Bushnell by far one of the most famous brands of golf rangefinders. They have proved themselves to be a trustworthy brand. The Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt Golf Rangefinder is one of their top selling rangefinders. It comes with some excellent features such as Jot technology, Pinseeker technology, Vivid Display Technology, and the E.S.P 2. The vivid display technology helps to read the display correctly even in bright sunlight. The Bushnell Tour V3 Laser Golf Rangefinder is their other famous rangefinder.
Callaway is another famous brand in the rangefinder market. People trust the products of Callaway, as this company has a great face in the industry. The Callaway 300 Laser Golf Rangefinder is their most famous product. This product is great and easy to use. In fact, I have used this rangefinder myself, and I felt that this device is a fantastic rangefinder with some great built-in features. People who love to enjoy golf with a lightweight yet good rangefinder should definitely go for the Callaway 300 Laser Golf Rangefinder.
If you do some research on golf gadgets, you may have heard of the name TecTecTec. They are a huge company that has achieved a lot of trust over the years. The TecTecTec VPRO500 Laser Golf Rangefinder is one of their best selling golf rangefinders.
Leupold is another big fish in the sporting goods market. They are mainly famous for their hunting rangefinder, but they have made some great golf rangefinders too. Leupold GX4i2 is their most recent and famous rangefinder.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Golf Rangefinder
You have probably decided by now what you are going to buy, either laser or GPS. I have discussed their functionalities, pros, cons, and more. When thinking of buying one, you should follow the following tips:
This is the first thing you should have in mind when you are selecting the best golf rangefinder for you. Have you ever thought why the same kind of rangefinders (same design, shape, and size) are found in the market for a different price? Features are behind this. So, it is very important to check the features first. Here is a short list of some great features that are provided by the digital and top selling rangefinders:
One of the main reasons behind buying a rangefinder is its accuracy. So at first, check the accuracy level of that rangefinder. The TecTecTec VPRO500 Laser Golf Rangefinder can measure up to 500m with 1-yard accuracy. It can magnify up to six times. The Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt Golf Rangefinder can measure up to 1,300 yards with 1/2 yard of Accuracy. It also can magnify up to 6x. In this example, the Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt Golf Rangefinder has better accuracy than the TecTecTec VPRO500 Laser Golf Rangefinder.
Most manufacturing companies are now making waterproof rangefinders. This can be an essential feature if you are thinking of ever playing during a rainy or foggy day. During rainy seasons you will be able to bring along your rangefinder without the worry of getting your device wet.
The worst thing is to have a low battery when playing golf. Suppose you have charged the battery well in your home before the match. After playing one round, you find the battery is about to die! If this has happened to you previously, make sure you are aware of the battery options available for the rangefinder you plan on purchasing. Check if its chargeable or not. Most of the rangefinder use non-rechargeable batteries. Models such as the Bushnell Pro X7 Golf Laser Rangefinder use a long lasting battery.
The Display is another crucial thing that you need to check. Some people may skip this, saying screen doesn’t matter. But believe me, it does. I prefer an LCD (Liquid Crystal Display). Nowadays, many rangefinder manufacturing companies use advanced display features such as the Vivid display. Bushnell Pro X7 Golf Laser Rangefinder has this feature. That will help you to get an accurate reading even in the brightest sunlight.
There are also some advanced features like Pin Seeker technology, Jolt technology, E.S.P 2 you should check for.
Ease of use:
This is another important thing you need to check when selecting a rangefinder. Most of the pro golfers don’t pay attention to it, as they have enough experience to handle any rangefinder. Sometimes, the amateurs or beginners find it tough to use a new device, especially when they buy a new one. They spend a lot of time trying to get the action of that specific device. Also, some machines have a very complicated operation, and the newbies, as well as the experts, may find it hard when you are on the course. That’s why it is crucial to know the ease of use of a new golf rangefinder (or any new devices).
If you are thinking of buying something (not only rangefinders), it is necessary to consider the price. I would recommend you have a budget first, before planning on making a purchase. Although, some people don’t think about pricing, I always keep a budget in mind when I am deciding to buy something. There are different types of rangefinders in different price ranges. You need to match the features of a rangefinder with your budget. Generally, you should have a budget of somewhere between $150 and $750.
This price range varies based on the device’s features and quality. I suggest you not to buy a low-quality rangefinder just to save a few bucks. Once, I bought a rangefinder worth $97, but only ended up spending more, ($500-$600) just to keep the device fully working. The battery never lasted more than one round. So from my experience, I suggest you not to do the same as I did just to save some money. It sucks. So make your budget, check all the features and the quality and go for it. If you are searching for a quality rangefinder with a low budget, you can check the TecTecTec VPRO500 Laser Golf Rangefinder.
That is the quickest way to know the real feedback about a product. Smart buyers always read customer reviews before buying anything. By reading the reviews of a customer, you can find out about its quality and stability. I always do so. Before I ever give my money to a seller, I try to read the customer feedback about that particular product as much as possible. It gives an extra idea about the features and quality of the product. You can easily get the reviews from the customers from any online shopping sites such as Amazon. Also, you can get the idea from product related forums and blogs.
There are some other things you should also consider like size, weight, design, tournament legality etc.
I always like the rangefinders with a light weight and a standard size so that I can carry it easily and comfortably in the green. Concerning design, go for the design that you like best. Every man has a different preference. Your choice will not be the same as your friend, or as me. So choose the design you like best.
Many golfers don’t check whether the rangefinder is tournament legal or not. It’s important to know that, because if you buy a rangefinder which is illegal to use in the tournament, you will not be able to play with that rangefinder in any tournament. Slope version rangefinders are not legal to play in tournaments, though you can use them during practice sessions or with friends.